Saturday 31 May 2014

Day 107 -- 1st day of race

It's official! Just had the first day of races in Taiwan and the teams did so well! The Men Teams, the Women (Big) Team won their first races on the first day! The Women (Small) Team, which I am in, lose in our first race though :( But thank God we are given another chance to compete in one more race. It's going to be our last chance, so by hook or crook, we got to win it to advance to the next level!

So we left NSYSU shortly after lunch and by the time we reached, there were so many people at the Anping River where the competition is held. I had no idea when Bryan told me (when I met them) that there were preparations made. I was thinking it was just the usual tents for the judges and perhaps some of the more professional teams. But when we reached, there were stores set up, something like a mini night market we saw at the Love River during the 15th day of Chinese New Year! Needless to say I was so tempted to eat all the snacks available! Luckily I had Miyuki by my side who was constantly controlling my monstrous appetite for these snacks!

The races were really great to watch! And my favourites were the races in the small boats. The main criterion for the small boats to win is for the first person in the boat, i.e. the flag catcher to catch the flag at the end point. So in the middle of the race, the flag catcher would have to change his / her position from facing the team to facing the direction of the boat's maneuver. I sat in front of a boat during one of our practices before and I knew how difficult it was to maintain our balance in front because our body will move to the momentum of the boat, let alone to change the position to catch the flag! So kudos to the flag catchers!

So the last race for us was the Women (Big) Team and by the time we got back to NSYSU, it was already 9pm. Though it wasn't bedtime time for most of us, but I have no idea why we were so tired! Nonetheless, we had a great time in Tainan and I can't wait for the 2nd day of race!
An accidental selfie! With our dedicated coach, Dunia (the lady in purple)!

the 担仔面 Miyuki is so crazy about! Her favourite food in Tainan, I guess.
Ohh! Did I mentioned that the big boats have neon LED lights! They are so beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment